Monday, February 18, 2013

Inconsistent But Good Enough, Romulo!

Romulo Cafe @ Jupiter, Bel Air Village

It took this long for me to finally eat at Romulo. Good thing that a good friend, Dr. Bombet, made plans to host the dinner there in honor of Leonel Escota who flew in from Las Vegas (attendees are from the Cafe Juanita Group of the Ateneo High School batches '85 and '86). As usual, we had a blast. The night was spent laughing and recalling (naughty!) things we did in high school. I love these guys.

About the food. I've heard so much of Romulo. Yun ang mahirap. Tumaas ang expectations ko.  



They serve good food, that much is clear. But can I say that they're not consistent? We commend that they gave twists to popular Pinoy dishes like the Bagnet Pakbet (P200) and the Boneless Crispy Pata Binagoongan (P650) which I didn't much enjoy... and that goes for the Spicy Tuyo Rice (P145). It was too overpowering which almost killed the taste of the viands. 


The Tinapa Roll (P145) was something new for me though not memorable enough to recommend to friends. It was too dry. I guess my favorite would be the soft-shelled Crispy Crablets (P165) and the Pomelo Salad (P250). The greens, Pomelo and salted eggs went well with the Strawberry Vinaigrette! It was simply magical.


I also liked the Mongo Soup (P130). Very flavorful and the crunchiness of the chicharon gave it THAT delicious texture. 





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I posted our picture in the second part of Romulo, the one with Sans Rival thing.

      Delete